My First Cleaning
Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are important for both children and adults.They help to keep your teeth and gums healthy. You should schedule a regular dental visit at least every 6 months or as recommended by your dentist.
During your cleaning, your dentist or dental hygienist will usually follow these steps:
- First, your dental professional will examine your teeth and check for any possible issues like plaque or cavities
- Next, your dental professional will floss in between your teeth and use special tools to scrape off any tartar (hardened, built up plaque) around all your teeth
- Then, they will use special toothpaste to clean and polish your teeth
- Your dentist may decide to take x-rays to make sure that everything is normal in your mouth
- Finally, you usually get a fluoride treatment to help protect your teeth
Professional dental cleanings are an important part of good oral health. If you have questions about your cleaning, be sure to ask your dentist or dental hygienist.